Oh the beauty of iPads and GAFE! Our Grade 3’s embarked on another super exciting project.
We currently have a lovely ‘Friendship’ theme running at school. Integrating our Creative Writing, we chatted about Direct/Indirect Speech, Dialogue and punctuation.
We then did the following:
- On the iPad, we logged into Drive and created a new folder named “Friendship”. We split up in pairs – one friend being #1 and the other being #2.
- We created a new Google Doc in our Friendship Folder. Using the dictation tool on the iPad, we each composed three sentences. My goodness, the students faces when they saw the iPad ‘typing’ by itself – priceless!
3. We re-read our sentences, just to double check that the iPad ‘listened’ correctly.
4. Using the option of taking photos with the iPad from within Drive, we took three selfies. Our facial expressions had to match our emotion in the sentences written.
5. In the IT lab, we signed into Drive. Earlier that week, we shared with the students a Google Drawings template.
6. All the #1’s had to navigate to ‘Shared with me’, make a copy of the Google Drawings template shared with them, and then share it with their partner (also called #2).
7. Now it was time to collaborate! We opened the Google Doc created on the iPad and simply copy and pasted our sentences into our speech bubbles.
8. Once we finished copying the sentences, we inserted our selfies.
9. Finally, it was time to ‘prettify’ our Google Drawing by adding formatting. G+ is turned off for our students, so they cannot use the chat feature. However, they walked around to discuss how they were going to format their page – an excellent opportunity for 9 year olds to move around a bit after sitting for 30 minutes!
Our final product will be inserted into our Blogs and we will compose a Blog Post to review our learning.
What incredible learners we have!